Saturday, March 29, 2014

Small Treasures




3/28/2014
I have been very blessed to have a wide group of friends that are willing to bike with me, to help me, to put up with my random bike times because of my busy schedule.  Today the first part of my ride was with my friend Beverly. We left earlier in the day and took off on a familiar country bike path. I’m trying to get as many miles as I can while also sharing great fellowship. Round one resulted in a good ride with a few sprinkles. The temperature finally got above 50. My last ride was when it was 45, windy, and overcast. Today I gladly enjoyed 60s and sprinkles. I rode 12 miles, had a delicious chocolate milk, and improved my mean voice of yelling “no” to an approaching dog. I am beginning to think they are listening now. Lately when I yell at them they stop and some even go home.
The second part of my ride was to be with some gentlemen who have also been very helpful in trying to prepare me for this ride. This section of my ride was going to be a new route. I love new routes! We were destined to bike to Gold City, KY. It was slightly warmer for this section. The gentleman that I biked with is a strong rider and what I would consider a quiet soul. We rode most of the ride in silence. It was very nice and reflective. The route had some hills. I was familiar with some of the roads until we entered Simpson County. Yes, the hills were more challenging but a weird part of me enjoys those hills.

When I worked in Montana with the Forest Service there was a coworker who taught me something valuable that I still think of and use even today after 7-8 years have passed. We were on our first hitch of the season (meaning it was the first time we went back into the back country for an extended period).  Of course coming from Alabama to Montana it takes a little bit to get acclimated to the higher elevations. I was also not in ideal shape. As we were climbing up the mountain he kept pushing and hiking as fast as he could. I was gasping for air and stopping along the way. When I caught up with him I asked why he was hiking so fast. He said that was the only way he knew how to get in shape. To push now will only result in preparing your body for these types of climbs so in the future you can more easily take on the climbs and enjoy them.

So, with that quick digression, I think of that advice whenever I start training for anything – whether a hike or biking trip. I love the challenging hills because I am able to push myself. Yes, it is hard and legs burn, but every time I take on a hill I know I will be stronger and be able to take on the next one with a little more ease.
We twisted and turned on these country roads past small ponds and staring cows. Fourteen miles later we arrived in Gold City, KY. A place I would probably never visit or notice if not for this ride. This is why I love biking. Our goal of ending at a mom and pop gas station was amazing. We stopped as locals were extremely friendly, all of them knowing each other. One sign hanging on the wall said, “We don’t call 911 here” - right next to a picture of a gun. I stopped a moment and took it all in. Small treasures like this store made my day today. The ride, the newness, the rawness and simplicity of this small town – I am glad I got to experience it.
The ride back was great probably because it was mostly downhill. The sun came out and that always makes days better. The more we rode the stronger my legs felt. Hopefully the days will continue to get warmer and I can get back on the roads on a more consistent basis. The ride is approaching quick. I am getting more excited for it. I’m sure some of it is a little bit of nervousness. I hope that I am ready in time.

Hebrews 3:4

No comments:

Post a Comment